Saturday, November 22, 2008

Mint Chocolate Brownies


A few weeks ago when I was visiting Colorado, my mom welcome my brother and me with a huge plate of the most delicious brownies I have ever had (well, they are tied with my roommate, Christie's, moms carmel brownies..I still need that recipe!). They were this delicious mint brownies. The Creamery grocery store by my apartment has similar brownies, but the recipe my mom has definitely takes the cake (or perhaps...the Brownie!! haha). I have been craving them since I have gotten back to school, and today was the perfect occasion to make them! It was the BYU versus University of Utah game, and my brother, Daniel, and I were having a little party! The Brownies turned out great! Just as a forewarning, they are extremely rich!!!!! Definitely a thicker consistency than your every day Betty Crocker mix. The recipe I have says it makes 9 brownies, but I got like 30 out of it. I guess it just depends on how big you cut them! I really recommend making this as a dessert when you want to bring something somewhat fancy and pretty looking, but rather simple to make. Enjoy!

Denise Wright’s Chocolate Mint Brownies
1. In a large bowl, cream together: 1 C sugar, 1 C packed brown sugar, 1 C butter or margarine (softened) until fluffy.
2. Beat in 4 eggs until well blended
3. Set Aside.
4. In a small bowl, microwave 4 one-ounce squares baking chocolate for one minute. Stir and continue to heat at ten-second intervals just until melted.
5. Add melted chocolate to the sugar and butter mixture
6. Add 2 tsps vanilla
7. In a separate bowl, stir together 2 C flour and ¼ tsp baking powder; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
8. Spread batter into a greased 9by13-inch baking dish.
9. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few fudgy crumbs.
10. When brownies are cool, frost with Mint Frosting (see recipe below) and refrigerate for an hour.
11. Drizzle chocolate glaze over frosting. (see recipe below)
12. Refrigerate another hour. Makes about 15 brownies.

MINT FROSTING:

½ C butter or margarine, softened

¼ C milk

1 tsp peppermint extract

5 drops red or green food coloring

4 C powdered sugar


Mix first four ingredients. Add powdered sugar and mix well.

CHOCOLATE GLAZE

3 T butter or margarine

½ C semi sweet chocolate chips

1 tsp vanilla


Microwave butter and chocolate chips together on high power for one minute.

Add vanilla and stir.

Randomly drizzle glaze over frosted brownies






No comments: